Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 8 Extra Post: Facebook as a Presentation of Self

During class on Monday, we talked about how Google is a platform for the choosing self whereas Facebook is a platform for the presenting self. And I totally agree with this. Facebook is what you make it. I choose my profile picture, what part "About Me" gets shared to the public and who my friends are. If someone has statuses or updates that I don't agree with, I can simply unfriend them or delete the post off my timeline. If it comes to it, I can block them from my profile all together.

Facebook gives you a lot of options on how you want to present yourself. Your best friends can be your family members, or even your spouse if you so desire. You can present yourself as a die hard Cubs fan and have your photos and about me all about the Cubs. If you want to show your support for something, say cancer, you can make your profile picture purple. And if you don't want yourself to be found, you can hide your profile, or even hide your name. You even choose who can see your pictures, if you don't want to present an image to yourself to strangers.

I believe that Facebook is what you make it. You literally get out of it everything you put into it. If you don't want something known about you, you don't have to put it on Facebook, you can leave it blank. You even have the capability to take down posts put up by other people. Facebook gives us the power to be who we want to be. If we want to be ourselves or someone else, the choice is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment